Friday, November 4, 2011

Billy Elliot!

I'm on the road while writing this blog! I am headed to St.Louis to watch the musical "Billy Elliot" with the Eureka College First Generation Student Program.  Interestingly enough,  it is the same musical I saw on my International Affairs Seminar in New York City. I'm cannot wait to see if St. Louis beats Broadway!

The story of "Billy Elliot" is one of my favorites, so I'm not depressed to see it again, not at all. However, "Billy Elliot" and I do have an interesting relationship. In the musical is a song called "The Letter". Billy's mother is dead and it was the letter she wrote to him for when he grew up. 

Of course I have to bawl every time I hear it. 

I don't mention this for pity (at least I don't think, but, hey, maybe I do) but I mention it because it's always a part of me. 

The last time I saw this back in March in NYC, Jeremy Skaggs pulled me in a bear hug during the worst parts for me. It's not often that I say this, but I hope there are more Jeremys out there (just kidding, Jeremy).  More crying people, figuratively  and literally, need a Jeremy. 

Remember, no matter how long the time has been, when the heart is ripped back open, it still hurts. 

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted"- Matt 5:6

Love openly, forgive thoroughly, and forgive quickly. It's a lesson I am still learning. 

Much love,

Clott


The Letter Lyrics (abridged)

And I will have missed you growing,
And I'll have missed you crying
And I'll have missed you laugh.
Missed your stomping and your shouting,
I'll have missed telling you off,
But please Billy,
Know that I was always there.
I was with you through everything.
And please, Billy,
know that I will always be
Proud to have known you
Proud that you were mine,
Proud in everything.
And you must promise me this, Billy,
In everything you do
Always be yourself, Billy
And you always will be true
Love you forever.
Mum

2 comments:

  1. If your mother had written a letter to you it would have said the same thing. I know she loved you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was making an album for Ryan's graduation and ran across pictures of you and your mom. Funny how things happen....I put them in a letter to you and then finished my evening reading this blog. The only thing missing is my long distance hug:)

    ReplyDelete