Monday, November 28, 2011

Next Door Evangelism

So I received words of triumph today! I was working in my room when I heard a gal tell me hello from the hallway. 

She told me thank you. We had a deep theological conversation a week and a half ago and that conversation encouraged her to go back to church last Sunday. 

I never intended to make her a church goer, or returner. I have no proof she'll keep going. However, by just trying to be her friend and talking about something I'm passionate about, I did something splendid. 

Sending her back to church wasn't splendid, mind you, but seeing her excited about a rendezvous with her Creator was. 

This experience was just a reminder to me about what evangelism really is. Evangelism, or message or light, isn't about going up to strangers and asking if they have a personal relationship with Christ, and then proceeding to tell them they can find it if they go to such and such church. 

No, rather it is doing the work of the gospel. It is loving people, wasting time on them and with them. I did not intend to go "win one for Christ" but I did set out to know her and to become her friend. And... I shared my story and my thoughts and my feelings and I didn't boil my thoughts down but displayed my personal matters in all of their glory, open for her and the world to see.

Next door evangelism is a beautiful thing, and I'm glad to have been a part of this case. 

1 comment:

  1. People see you and the infection religion has had on you. Your spirit and faith sheds a glowing light that others who know you and spend any time with you probably would become invloved in going to a church. I know you are my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete