Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yearning

I am insane, according to most people.  Why?  Because when I drive my 702 mile trip between homes, I generally wake up around three or four and take off while it is still a long way until morning is even thinking about breaking.  I enjoy the car rides, but I particularly enjoy driving in the early morning.

While I was coming out of Tulsa, the sky was starting to lighten.  I kept looking for the sun, hoping that it would make an appearance.  I looked to the eastern sky for over an hour, guessing where the sun would come up. 

The sun looked like it would come up right outside of my passenger window.  The colors seemed to radiate from that particular point.  Then I looked to the passenger’s corner of my windshield, and it looked like the incoming sunlight was the strongest right over the hill.  I was not sure where the sun would come up.  I would look over every couple of minutes and change my mind. 

Mile after mile I would look and think, “There!”  Then I would go back to driving (I’m sure the other drivers were thankful), then soon, I would look out the right side of my car again.  At one point I felt manic, almost like my soul was demanding the sun come up now so I could determine where it would rise from on the horizon.

Then the sun did come up.  It came from between the two spots I thought it would come out of.  It rose quickly and it was a beautiful ball of light.  I stared at the shimmering sun until it hurt my eyes, and then I turned back to the road, thankful for the lack of cars on this cold Sunday. 

It is not often that the sun is not nearby.  Generally, I am asleep when the sun is rising, or technically the earth spins around to greet it. However, it was borderline scary knowing that I didn’t know where the sun was.  I knew it was out there… somewhere, and I knew it was coming.  But when?  Where?  I did not know, so I was anticipating anything and hoping for everything.

Remember the sojourners in your life who are desperately seeking the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment