Thursday, February 23, 2012

Daily Urgency

The time is late, but in the good spirit of lent I am still typing this blog out for your punishment, er, enjoyment.

I went to the theater tonight to watch Thom Pain (Based on Nothing) by Will Eno.  This play is a one man show and was very well put together and performed (kudos to those who helped make that possible!).

As a few of you know, I enjoy finding a certain element of a play and looking at it deeper.  Tonight’s was an old lesson, one that I have actually heard many times.  That moment of learning was this: if I had one day to live, and knew it, I would live it UP.  I would love everyone!  I would forgive like crazy!  I would have fun up to my eyeballs!  I would do everything and anything to make sure that one day made a difference in my life and in the lives of others.  However, if I had forty years to live, I would do… nothing spectacular, in the here and now, anyway.  Maybe, eventually, I’ll get around to something interesting.  But, would that urgency, that longing, that dire necessity to make a difference and to live a life honestly worth the living every single day actually happen?  Not a chance. 

Why do we let life slip through our finger tips like grains of sand?  I do it.  You do it. Perhaps we let time pass without concern because it is difficult to remain so stimulated for so long.  However, what I do know is that it is vital to not live every day like it is our last.  Read the preceding sentence carefully, one more time.  We need to make every day count because it simply is.  We must come to realize, you and I, that we are the change agents of this world.  We can determine the quality of days for not just ourselves, but for so many others, but only, ONLY, if we live passionately and sincerely. 

We have a gift.  Whether it is a story to tell that has changed our lives, a talent that few possess, or a mind that is more malleable than gold, somewhere each of us has a something that can change the environment in which we live.  What catalyst will it take to start the cycle of urgency within?  This is the thought that I will keep as I slide off into the realm of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment