Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fruit for Lent

Okay all, I promise that I did not forget about Minor Musings.  I just… well, I am a complete and utter failure at keeping up at blogging.  Maybe what I should give up for lent is time to blog daily?  I think there are several people in my life that would appreciate that.

This past Sunday at my church in Creve Coeur (yes, I finally settled down) we sang a beautiful song that I would like to type for you here.

“Lord, Whose Love Through Humble Service”
1) Lord, whose love through humble service bore the weight of human need, who upon the cross, forsaken, offered mercy’s perfect deed:  we your servants, bring the worship not of voice alone, but heart, consecrating to your purpose every gift that you impart.
2) Still your children wander homeless; still the hungry cry for bread; still the captives long for freedom; still in grief we mourn our dead.  As, O Lord, your deep compassion healed the sick and freed the soul, use the love your Spirit kindles still to save and make us whole.
3) As we worship grant us vision, till your love’s revealing light in its height and depth and greatness dawns upon our quickened sight, making known the needs and burdens your compassion bids us bear, stirring us to tireless striving your abundant life to share.
4) Called by worship to your service, forth in your dear name we go to the child, the youth, the aged, love in living deeds to show; hope and health, good will and comfort, counsel, aid, and peace we give, that your servants, Lord, in freedom may your mercy know, and live.
Page 461 of the Chalice Hymnal 1995
Words by Albert F. Bayly, 1961
Words © 1961 Oxford University Press, Inc.; harm. © Lutheran Book of Worship, reprinted by permission of Augsburg Fortress

I do not know why this song struck me as it did.  Perhaps it was the optimistic tone… or the call to service that graced this hymn.  However, what I do know is that I felt stirred by this melodic hymn that doesn’t look very fancy, or sings like any modern song that I know of. 

I suppose the deep question that this song as of me as I sing or type the words is: what fruit are we bearing for others?  Furthermore what does bearing fruit really mean?  What good is fruit without someone to pick and eat of it?  When Jesus spoke of being believers who bore fruit for the kingdom, could it be that we are to bear fruit for the hungry to eat and for the thirsty to drink?

During this time of lent, whether you fully observe this time or not, work to bear fruit for the lonely sojourner who is searching for their way.  Bear fruit for the poor and downhearted, for they are looking for any lifeline.  Bear fruit for the rich and overinflated, for they need real food to sustain them. 

But, possibly most of all grow some real, deep, spiritual food for yourself, so that you may be nourished, and so that you may go, stirred on by God to “tireless striving [God’s] abundant life to share!”

2 comments:

  1. Colton,

    As I read this I couldn't help but be struck by YOUR writing. You have come such a long way and your eloquence is astounding. You will make a lovely pastor one day. I am proud of you! And do try to keep this up. I quite like it. I hope you're not surprised by that fact.

    I love you!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written by a true Minister of God. If I ever had doubts before I don't now.

    ReplyDelete