Monday, February 27, 2012

The More Profound Questions

The Eureka College Honors Program is having a movie night tomorrow night.  Normally, this would go without notice, but as I suggested the film selection, I have been "rallying the troops" and incessantly bugging/emailing the peeps to come and gather round.  My film selection?  The Philosopher Kings

Somewhere in the backlog of this very blog (around November of 2011) I wrote a short piece on this monumental film.  I loved it to pieces because it directly challenged me to challenge my perception of people.  Who are the beloved and blessed?  Who are the educated?  What does vocation and pay have to do with one another, if anything? 

In preparation for tomorrow's cinematic event, I reviewed my notes from my HELM conference and I saw a note I made.  This note actually had very little to do with the film and a lot to do with faith, and what I wrote was this:
"When we say 'atheist' what are we an 'atheist' of?"
"What is a deeper question to 'Do you love God?' or 'Do you follow Jesus?'  This is a yes or no question. The more profound item to ask is 'What do I love when I love God?'"

What am I loving or believing in, when I say I love or believe in God?  Am I loving this idea of my own salvation?  Or am I loving a force?  Or am I caring for the people of this universe?  Or is it something even more, is it a natural order of things that I am trying to grasp my soul around?  What is it that we love in the divine?

When am I an atheist in my life?  I am not trying to downplay the faith choice of many people with this question, but in a secondary sense of the word "atheist," when do I choose to forsake faith or the divine in my every day life?  This reminds me of a beautiful video, actually.  The link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiG-nlDVvYM

IF you can follow my thought process from beginning to end... congratulations!  You may be one in a million.

1 comment:

  1. I actually enjoy trying to follow your thought processes!

    Here's another question: Is being a "loving force" a positive connotation? Or can that word "force" be taken too negatively?

    ReplyDelete