Monday, October 31, 2011

A Very Un-Colton Thing To Do

I did a very odd thing, for me, today (technically yesterday at this late hour). I got up, and I decided that I wouldn't go to church today. 

I wasn't sick. I wasn't unable. I could've gotten around in time to go, but I decided I wasn't going to. I think this was the first time I consciously decided not to go to church since the seventh or eighth grade, barring conflicts. 

I didn't do anything life changing with the time, and I mostly wasted it, truth be told. 

The sad part, to me, is that while I may have longed for literal and figurative communion with my Creator, I didn't regret missing church very much. It felt like skipping a meal- I knew I was doing it, but it wouldn't really hurt anything. 

I haven't made a deep realization about the workings of religion through skipping church. I've heard the "going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to a garage makes you a car!" line too many dreadful times to count, but I fear that I may personally be changing. I greet this opportunity with open, and happy arms, though. 

However, I'll be honest- next week, I'm pretty sure I'll be at church. I think I may have missed it more than I thought. 

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment