Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Great Illinois Church Hunt!


So when I knew that I was coming to Eureka, I knew that I would want to find a church.  Church has for the longest time been a refuge, a place of strength, and a pillar of hope in this tormented world.  The question was... where? 

So I decided that I would go to all the Disciples of Christ churches with in a reasonable driving area and then pick the one that I really liked the most and gave to me what I needed, but also had a place where I could fit in and be able to be a useful giver. 

Today's pick was Eureka Christian Church and it was actually in walking distance.  I visited that historic congregation that has deep ties to the college.  The founders were the same for both institutions, the church and the college, so there is a deep sisterhood between the two. 

The interesting factor about ECC was that a large number of professors fromt the college go there, roughly ten.  That fact is both very cool and could be a good reason to go, but it also could be a reason to stay away as I see them Monday to Friday anyhow.  Stretch the boundaries of community, ya know? 

So I will go to the next place on my Great Church Hunt list next Sunday.  Not sure if I want to go in order by miles away, which would be going to Carlock Christian Church seven miles away, or if I want to take a longer trip because next weekend is Labor Day weekend and I have the time.  If so, I would probably go to the farthest of the twenty three I am checking out, which would be the First Christian Church of Pontiac (they have one of the biggest bestest prisons in ALL of Illinois!). 

So that is the update on my churching adventures and by the end of this school year I hope to have a church home for next school year! 



By the way, my dearest grandmother wanted me to start putting pictures in my blog, so you have the bulletin from ECC.  I'll try to add more pictures when I can.

Now I am off to the Illinois Valley Cluster Meeting with a reinactment of what a revival at Cane Ridge would have been like!

1 comment: