Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How Hot Are the Hub-caps of Hell?

Tonight was the traditional torch light parade and bonfire as a part of Homecoming Week Festivities.  It was a blast as four hundred torches lit up the sky and blazed through the path, seeking to dispel all darkness and all thoughts of the Red Devils losing on Saturday.

(Yes, the Eureka [Christian] College mascot is the Red Devil.  What perfect Disciples humor, eh?)

As we got to the massive bonfire and it came time to throw my torch in, I had the thought that I always do when I step close enough to feel a bonfire: “Is this what Hell feels like?”

I can attribute this thought to my good friend Colin Earle, who was speaking at Steffani Silva’s sixteenth birthday party.  As part of her large party, she wanted a huge bonfire that rivaled the size of the Eureka fire I had tonight.  The party-goers could not stand within ten or fifteen feet due to the excessive heat.  As clear as water, I remember Colin saying, “I wonder if this is what the Hell is like?”

Little did they know that I was undergoing a large faith crisis at the time, so his words cut me up like a knife and I stared in awe at the fire that could be the fate for my soul. (Interesting enough, it was a rainy day when Steffani had her party.  She was freaking out, and, knowing me for the good Christian chap that I am, asked me to say a prayer to make the rain go away.  I did, but I felt very hypocritical doing it.)

I still wonder if that is what Hell is.  Is it that massive bonfire that scorches the skin?  Are souls like chickens roasted over a spit?  Is there such a thing as Hell in the first place?  An even harder question is: if there is, would it necessarily be how we conceptualize it? 

I think that Hell, assuming its existence, is much more based on the idea of utter loneliness.  It would be a separation from love in every definition and left with the cold dregs of hate, anger, fear, and jealousy.  There are things worse than physical pain.
           
Would my faith change if I didn’t believe in Hell?  Is it necessary?  Why does it exist?  Such questions, such a puny amount of answers.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's what you said about separation from God. Imagine separated for all eternity! I'm reminded of the story of the rich man and the poor man named Lazarus. "Please, send Lazarus with just a drop of cool water!" Something to think about, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite blog so far.

    ReplyDelete