Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Importance of Naming Things Properly

I know, I know.  I skipped not one but two whole days of blogging.  I apologize for the emotional damage I caused many of you (I’ve counted upwards of three).  I was incredibly busy with my “real job” A.K.A- college.  I hope to actually get ahead on my homework this weekend.  Don’t worry. I probably won’t, but the hope is always there, right?

So there is this one girl in a few of my classes.  She has a name but most of the time I call her Annoying Girl.  She’s that person that whenever she opens her mouth, you immediately start dreading the next five minutes of your life.  Not only is she obnoxious, but she never knows when to stop.  It’s logorrhea, or diarrhea of the mouth with this chick.  I curl up in disgust every time she comes near. 

It’s not totally out of place, mind you.  She’s a very hard person to love… a very, very, VERY hard person to love.  She curses frequently for public reaction, thinks she’s cute, and says things out of context in the hopes of sounding intelligent and analytical.  In other words, think of the whole nine yards of annoying, wrap it up in a five foot body and you have Annoying Girl. 

And today she shut up.

I was flabbergasted.  My whole week (I have her in one class every day) depends on bracing myself for her voice which cuts up my patience with the efficiency of a steak knife.  Okay, not my whole week, but a good minute before class starts.  But today, miraculously, she was silent.  I was worried.

I saw her this evening on campus as I was talking on the phone to my grandmother (Meme Janice will now be ticked as it was not her) and she was walking towards me so I waved and she courteously waved back.  When she came close enough to whisper I asked, “Doing okay?”

She replied, “No- bad phone call from my sister.”  She was dejected… emotionless, something Annoying Girl never was.  I patted her on the shoulder and she kept walking and I felt like even more of a jerk.

I feel rotten for having these emotions about her until she does something so nerve grating that I forget all humility.  However, when she does act vulnerable, I remember that no matter how hard she is to love, I HAVE to love her.  I have no option, I have an obligation. 

So this is the last time I call her Annoying Girl.  Ever.  Instead I go from today treating her more like the Child of God that she is.

Pray for me, as I will have difficulties, but I go into this looking for deep success… and most of all, love. 

3 comments:

  1. But you handle annoying so well. Look at what you delt with in swim all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not so sure that I do... I think swimming was WAY easier to handle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you for caring. No matter how annoying a person is they are still a Child of god. I, myself, have trouble with that one. There is something good in all of us. In some people it's just hard to find.

    ReplyDelete