Saturday, September 24, 2011

Returning With a New Bag of Tricks!

Back to normalcy I come!  “The Week” finally wrapped up, my professors hold my (hopefully graded with A+) papers, and the two exams I had took the sweat, blood, and tears right out of me, but they too, hopefully, have beautiful A’s.  There is no letter prettier, after all.

Although, I must say, grades look different to me now.  Grades still have importance in my education, do not get me wrong, but I look at them with less meaning. Instead of viewing grades as almost a competition, I see them as bars by which I can judge my performance.  If I get a B, I get a B; however, it simply means “try harder”.  I’m trying as hard as I can, so I want the A’s, but I refuse to freak out over all the other letters.  Except F, I will throw myself into a tizzy over an F, and probably a D.  In fact, a C would get me down… Maybe I am not quite as reformed as I thought!

Some of this stems from how much I love my classes.  I would not trade for the world what I am learning now.  It captivates me, it enlightens me, and I am amazed at the knowledge I bring back home every single day.  I could flunk and still be happy with the education I received at Eureka College because of how it has already changed my life.  Not that I am going to flunk out because that would mean school would no longer be an option and I DO like me some school.

In other news, I knitted my first hat today!  It made me quite excited.  I did it through Bearded Men Knitting Hats.  BMKS is a student group that celebrates “No Shave November” by having bearded guys break stereotypes and knit hats to sell for $10.  The money raised goes to the Eureka Heart House, which is a home for domestic abuse victims and the homeless of the community.  Breaking down societal barriers to break down economic barriers sounds like my kind of program!

To be honest, I did not set out to join this group.  One of the sophomore ministry fellows, Zane, started the program. I thought it was a worthy program, so I donated a bit of my “God Money” (my tithe and offering) to the group to do some of that good Jesus Work.  Then Zane asked me to come to the knitting lesson today.  Not only is it another skill I get to learn, but I get to help people.  How awesome?!  I am on cloud nine right now.

Speaking of skills, I have also started to learn the piano.  My good friend, Belle from New Zealand, is my teacher.  She plays so beautifully, and she is really quite the professor.  Not that she acts necessarily friendly whilst teaching, but she surely gets the job done efficiently!  I can now play “Old MacDonald”.  I have yet to learn “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” I suppose the lamb is still on Old MacDonald’s farm.

So, while my week was not the most fun, I enjoyed life even more.  I missed you, my blogging community.  I hope that in the week that I haven’t got to talk to you, you all have not deserted me.

With God’s peace and love,
Clott

P.S.- Hand knitted hats for $10!  Colors are pick-able, and all money goes to a good cause.  Contact me if you are interested by phone, commenting, or by emailing: coldlott@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. It's about time! I've missed your blog. How about a picture of you with the hat on.

    ReplyDelete